SOP Scholarship Committee is now taking applications for 2011. See attached applications.
The Sons of Portugal Scholarship
Students have to be of Portuguese descent living at least one full year in Danbury or its surrounding areas. Applicant
or his/her parent(s) must be an active member of at least one of the following organizations: Portuguese Cultural
Center, Danbury and/or its active groups, Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Danbury and/or its active groups, Sons
of Portugal Band and/or Sons of Portugal Folklore Dance Group. Scholarships will be granted to any accredited
educational institution up to a maximum of four years per recipient.
In order to be considered, all the following requirements must be met (failure to comply will affect the applicant’s
eligibility and/or his/her final ranking):
1. Document(s) supporting the applicant’s Portuguese descent (birth certificate(s) or any other
documentation of proof that meets with the Committee’s satisfaction);
2. Two (2) letters of recommendation (one from a school official, another from a community member);
3. Scholarship Workshop will take place for those who need help or have questions on March 20th at
2pm through 5pm
4. Completed application postmarked by April 9th, including:
• official transcript of the applicant’s high school/college record
• official letter verifying each community service activity listed in questions 8 - 12
• copy of the applicant’s Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) *
* For high school students only.
• NOTE: If all required supporting documentation is not received by April 9th, the
application will be considered incomplete and be disqualified.
• IMPORTANT: Please keep a copy of your application and related documents
• Receipt of your application will be acknowledged via email –
5. The applicant or a family member must be present to receive the scholarship.
Awards will be made on the basis of: Portuguese community involvement, scholastic record, character, and
evidence of leadership.